May 19, 2022
Top 9 Tire and Auto Services for Your Electric Car
Do you own an electric vehicle or planning to buy one? Electric vehicles come with so many new and exciting Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) features like park assist, automatic functionality (i.e., wipers and lights), and so much more. If anything, they’re computers on wheels and are constructed in a completely different way than your typical gas-powered vehicle. Since these vehicles are built so differently, electric vehicles don’t need certain routine auto services like oil changes, tune ups, engine air filters, or accessory drive belts. So, what tire or auto services do you need to keep in mind for routine maintenance? Below are 9 tire and auto services that Sullivan Tire recommends to routinely check. Please also check your vehicle's owner's manual for specification on when your specific vehicle should get these services checked.
Routine Electric Vehicle Maintenance
- Brake Inspection
- 7,500 - 10,000 miles
- 12v Battery Testing
- 15,000 - 20,000 miles
- Cabin Air Filter
- 15,000 - 30,000-mile average life
- Brake Fluid Exchange
- Have the brake fluid tested on average every 15,000 miles. Replacement depends on the results from a brake fluid test strip kit.
- Windshield Wiper Blades
- Inspect quality or replace every 15,000 miles.
- Cooling Systems for Batteries, Motors, and Inverters
- Service intervals vary by manufacturers; Kia suggests replacement every 40,000 miles, most other manufacturers require inspection anywhere from every service visit to every 20,000 miles but don't have any replacement intervals. Sullivan Tire's best practice is to do a visual inspection for fill level and leaks when the vehicle is in for routine service and to regularly check with test strips to ensure that the coolant is still able to perform its intended function.
- Check 1 - 2 times per year.
- Air Adjustments
- As needed or inspect/adjust when your TPMS light turns on.
- 5,000 - 7,000 miles or every 6 months.
*All service intervals are recommended by most (not all) manufacturers.
You Don't Need the Dealership
Did you know you don’t have to go to the car dealership for tire or auto service on your electric vehicle? Unless your electric vehicle service or repair is covered by a dealership warranty, it's your choice on where you would like to have your vehicle serviced and it does not have to be at the dealership.
At Sullivan Tire and Auto Service, we know electric vehicles are here to stay which is why we’re fully equipped to service any electric vehicle. Not only do we own the latest automotive diagnostic tools and technology, Sullivan Tire has a team of Diagnostic Technicians that are educated to service your electric car. Each of our Diagnostic Technicians must be an ASE Master Technician with L1 and L2 certifications, L3 Advanced hybrid/electric vehicle ASE certifications, and must be working towards their ASE World Class Technician status. You can feel confident in a certified expert servicing your electric vehicle.
Book Your Appointment Online
Easily request an auto or tire service on our website today!Request an Appointment